Clatskanie People’s Utility District is currently seeking a full-time Financial Analyst at a competitive salary with excellent benefits. This position will model complex financial arrangements and present outputs of the analysis simply, clearly, and accurately to a diverse group of stakeholders including customers, managers, and board members.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to influence the strategic direction and fiscal performance of our hydro-powered, locally-owned electric utility and will be given the chance to develop professionally. The District is seeking someone who is professional, collaborative, detail-oriented, and has an analytical disposition; experience in the electric utility industry is not required.
- Demonstrates effective decision making in areas of responsibility. Support and present positive attitude for all directives and decisions of the District. Fosters and supports collaboration among peers, staff and teams to ensure the effective and efficient achievement of goals and objectives.
- Interacts successfully and works effectively while displaying professionalism, a cooperative attitude, open communication, and respect with all levels within the organization, outside agencies, consultants, customers and the general public.
- Prepare long-term and month-ahead forecasts of District financial metrics including net income, cash-flow, cash-on-hand, cost of service, and debt service coverage.
- Lead in the development and maintenance of systems (database and spreadsheet) to support the District’s financial planning. Financial planning includes forecast and update of District’s retail and wholesale revenues and expenses used to support budgeting, rate setting.
- Participate on internal / external teams to analyze new generation projects.
- Support the Finance Department with analysis, reports, or expertise during rating agency reviews, independent audits, and annual budgeting.
- Prepare economic / risk analyses and recommendations to support negotiations for short and long-term power and transmission purchases, sales and exchanges. Provide scenario analysis with short turn-around.
- Understand District power contracts and resources, prepare contract submissions, and recommend strategies to maximize the value of contracts/resources. Present results of analysis and recommended actions to District management, as well as the Board and/or other officials when directed.
- Develop and maintain a process to monitor the creditworthiness of wholesale power trading counterparties.
- Import and process month-end data to calculate Industrial Variable Rate.
- Prepare and send power invoices to industrial customers and wholesale counterparties.
- Communicate with wholesale counterparties and scheduling agent; check power invoices received by the District for accuracy.
- Prepare data reports, submittals, and invoices to meet contractual obligations, regulatory requirements, or internal analysis needs. Maintain a comprehensive list of all reports and submittals and review deadlines with Manager monthly.
- Serve as District’s Compliance Officer and Internal Compliance Committee (ICC) chair. Monitor NERC and WECC Reliability Standards requirements and notify appropriate District of applicable requirements and track District compliance efforts. Ensure all required reports to Federal and State agencies are submitted timely.
- Support and comply with safety leadership and all safety programs within the District.
- Maintain a cooperative and approachable attitude with internal and external customers.
- Attendance at in-house meetings and other business meetings will be required.
- Seek opportunities to streamline process and workflow.
- Perform other related duties as assigned for which he or she is qualified.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong analytical skills, intellectual curiosity, and ability to learn and adapt.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to model complex financial arrangements and present outputs of the analysis simply, clearly, and accurately to a diverse group of stakeholders including customers, managers, and board members.
- Professional demeanor that faithfully and consistently represents the District in all aspects of job responsibilities including day-to-day interactions and when representing the District’s interests in business meetings.
- Good reasoning and judgment to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to receive guidance and supervision, follow work rules, safety practices, work procedures, and meet punctuality and attendance standards. Complete assignments in an appropriate time period.
- Is adaptable to new systems, methods, and process changes and has strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate well both orally and in writing.
- Work well with a diverse group of people and function as part of a team.
- Ability to comprehend and follow legal regulations and compliance information.
- Know, understand, and support public power goals, history and direction.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the job duties and responsibilities of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job duties and responsibilities.
- Frequent walking, standing, and sitting.
- Extensive use of a personal computer requiring sitting for extended periods of time, adequate eyesight for viewing and manual dexterity.
- Must hear and be heard clearly in spoken conversations with heavy background noise, both in face to face meetings and on telephone calls. Use of a telephone requiring adequate hearing and speaking skills.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the job duties and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job duties and responsibilities.
- Work will be performed in both an office setting and outdoors with extended periods of sitting and extended periods of time working at a computer station.
- Must be able to work long hours in stressful conditions such as assisting in restoring power during storms, emergencies, other power outage situations, or special projects.
- Sufficient education, training, and/or related work experience to possess the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, which would typically be acquired through:
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree is preferred in one of the following majors: Accounting, Finance, Business, Economics, Applied Mathematics, Engineering or related field.
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience such as working on audits, financial planning, financial reporting, and/or utility rate setting.
- Additional preference may be given to individuals with a CPA, or utility auditing experience.
- Must have a valid driver’s license. Driving record must be acceptable and insurable by Clatskanie PUD’s insurance carrier by standard group rates.
- Proficiency in the use of computers is required, including the use of Microsoft Office applications.
- Proficiency in interpreting financial statements and working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, along with a familiarity with GASB statements and the FERC uniform system of accounts.
- Requires mathematical abilities in the practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios, or other math skills normally required in finance and/or accounting work. Demonstrated proficiency in the fundamentals and practical application of algebra, trigonometry, and statistics.
- Must have developed English language skills to the point to be able to: read newspapers, periodicals, journals, and complex technical manuals.
Compensation will be based on qualifications and experience. Clatskanie PUD offers a competitive benefit package. An application can be found on our website under About Us/Employment Opportunities at clatskaniepud.com. Submit completed application, resume, and cover letter to Human Resources, PO Box 216, Clatskanie, OR 97016, fax 503-308-4884, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. This position remains open until 5:00 pm PDT, August 20, 2018. If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Lynn Donner: email@example.com or 503-728-2163.
Clatskanie PUD is an equal employment opportunity employer, following all required federal and state employment laws. Clatskanie PUD will make reasonable accommodations for those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act. Veterans will receive hiring preference.
- Compensation will be based on qualifications and experience.
- August 20, 2018